Dojo and Javascript


I have been neck deep in the often misunderstood world of Javascript. We decided to use the Dojo framework to add some ‘bling’ to our new web app currently in production. I made some killer site designs and really wowed the management with everything I purported Dojo could do. Everything was approved and I was off to production to begin creating the templates that would become the oh-so familiar interface of our new customer service application.

I sensed something was wrong the first day I started full scale production. I was getting some really weird errors and I could never seem to ‘find’ my functions or variables. I thought it was probably just because I was a bit rusty at the ole’ Javascript, so I brushed it off and pushed forward. After a week of production and only one form done, it became screamingly apparent that there were major dificiencies in Dojo. Like the inability to reference namespaces in widgets, so I would have to cram everything into the global scope so the function calls could be found. The sheer amount of js code that is downloaded on every request. Sure, some of it is cached, but I never count on it. Other oddities began to creep up and I finally ended up scrapping alot of my stuff and doing it the old fashioned way. Pop open a window with a form and submit it normally. Finally I am making progress again. I will revisit Dojo in the future, right now I have to get the beta version of this software out the door. 😉

  1. #1 by Joe on August 27, 2006 - 11:57 pm

    Jeff – I would suggest using XML — that is a solution.

  2. #2 by jeffro on August 28, 2006 - 9:07 am

    *smack! (sound of me hitting my head against the nearest hard object)

    I don’t even know how to respond to that..

Comments are closed.